• Before making the purchase of the policy, access your needs that entirely depend on your financial condition. You need to check the available sources with you if by chance you face the brunt of losing the job. The period required to get new job after job loss could greatly vary and it could take months if your country is facing a large recession. This is necessary to decide the cover and the benefit received at the time of claim.
• Do not get lured by the temptation of covering as much as possible. Only choose a cover that would be sufficient to mend your basic family needs. The main reason is the huge premium you would be asked to pay for the enhanced cover. You should also consider the fact that if you never have to get the benefit the money would simply get wasted. Therefore choose a cover that is basic and not extempore.
• Check for the available cover options from the online comparison sites or tools. These mainly give a wide view of what to pay and the options you have for the cover. This comparison would also give you knowledge on the type of cover, their extension facility and other details.
• It is known that insurance firms which offer reasonable or cheap unemployment insurance tend to have stringent eligibility criteria. Therefore before applying, make sure you satisfy eligibility needs such as loss of job due to company recession, loss of job is not due to your will or any problem caused by you and so on. There will be age limits, limited benefit collection period and you also need to regularly provide proof that you are looking for new job at the time of unemployment.
• While purchasing the unemployment insurance make sure that the providing firm has extension facility till you get the new job. This would provide for you even after completion of benefit term in weeks or years.
Read the unemployment insurance policy very carefully before making the purchase as there are certain strict laws and rules that mean a lot and you should be well acquainted by them.